Many of us non-native japanese speakers have experienced the difficult of katakana 外来語. In this case I am having trouble translating the word シュート。 Googling it, it seems that it means "shoot" but it does not make sense. So then I thought, maybe it means "shooter" (which to me sounds シューター)

What do you think? Is there any other way to translate シュート?

(the word refers to a machine parts that redirects things from one part of a machine to a particular place of that machine)

You're talking about a chute? – Leebo Nov 28 '17 at 4:19
    please post it as an answer so that I can mark it as so. Thanks! – KansaiRobot Nov 28 '17 at 4:56
    Also, remember that any loan words do not necessarily come from just American or British English, it can be any other language. – keithmaxx Nov 28 '17 at 7:33
    辞書引いてみられました? 和英と国語辞典を引いたら両方とも一応載ってましたけど・・⇒ ejje.weblio.jp/content/シュート (和英辞典)・ dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/104271/meaning/m0u (国語辞典) – Chocolate Nov 28 '17 at 8:20
  • I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it could have been solved with a quick dictionary search. – Chocolate Dec 25 '17 at 7:10

シュート

shootではなく、Leeboさんのコメントにあるchuteだと思います。
飛行機のemergency escape chute などで使われます。

the word refers to a machine parts that redirects things from one part of a machine to a particular place of that machine

専門{せんもん}用語{ようご}ですので、分野{ぶんや}によっていろいろな言い方があります。 傾斜台{けいしゃだい}、落{お}とし樋{ひ}、滑降{かっこう}斜面路{しゃめんろ}、郵便{ゆうびん}投下{とうか}装置{そうち}/レターシュート letter chute、降{お}ろし樋{どい}、荷{に}滑{すべ}らし、...

多分、上記にない場合は、"chute シュート" ではなく、"chuter シューター" と言うことが多いと思います。

EDIT

日本語訳{にほんごやく}を見{み}ていますと、質問者{しつもんしゃ}が提示{ていじ}した定義{ていぎ}に加{くわ}えて「傾斜路{けいしゃろ}あるいは重力{じゅうりょく}を利用{りよう}して utilizing inclined paths or gravity」があると一層{いっそう}明確{めいかく}になると思{おも}います。

the word refers to a machine parts that redirects things from one part of a machine to a particular place of that machine by utilizing inclined paths or gravity  

シュート is a term used in soccer too, meaning "a shot on goal".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.