Many of us non-native japanese speakers have experienced the difficult of katakana 外来語. In this case I am having trouble translating the word シュート。 Googling it, it seems that it means "shoot" but it does not make sense. So then I thought, maybe it means "shooter" (which to me sounds シューター)

What do you think? Is there any other way to translate シュート?

(the word refers to a machine parts that redirects things from one part of a machine to a particular place of that machine)

You're talking about a chute?
    – Leebo
    Commented Nov 28, 2017 at 4:19
    please post it as an answer so that I can mark it as so. Thanks! Commented Nov 28, 2017 at 4:56
    Also, remember that any loan words do not necessarily come from just American or British English, it can be any other language.
    – keithmaxx
    Commented Nov 28, 2017 at 7:33
    辞書引いてみられました? 和英と国語辞典を引いたら両方とも一応載ってましたけど・・⇒ ejje.weblio.jp/content/シュート (和英辞典)・ dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/104271/meaning/m0u (国語辞典)
    – chocolate
    Commented Nov 28, 2017 at 8:20
  • I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it could have been solved with a quick dictionary search.
    – chocolate
    Commented Dec 25, 2017 at 7:10

2 Answers 2

シュート

shootではなく、Leeboさんのコメントにあるchuteだと思います。
飛行機のemergency escape chute などで使われます。

the word refers to a machine parts that redirects things from one part of a machine to a particular place of that machine

専門{せんもん}用語{ようご}ですので、分野{ぶんや}によっていろいろな言い方があります。 傾斜台{けいしゃだい}、落{お}とし樋{ひ}、滑降{かっこう}斜面路{しゃめんろ}、郵便{ゆうびん}投下{とうか}装置{そうち}/レターシュート letter chute、降{お}ろし樋{どい}、荷{に}滑{すべ}らし、...

多分、上記にない場合は、"chute シュート" ではなく、"chuter シューター" と言うことが多いと思います。

EDIT

日本語訳{にほんごやく}を見{み}ていますと、質問者{しつもんしゃ}が提示{ていじ}した定義{ていぎ}に加{くわ}えて「傾斜路{けいしゃろ}あるいは重力{じゅうりょく}を利用{りよう}して utilizing inclined paths or gravity」があると一層{いっそう}明確{めいかく}になると思{おも}います。

the word refers to a machine parts that redirects things from one part of a machine to a particular place of that machine by utilizing inclined paths or gravity  

シュート is a term used in soccer too, meaning "a shot on goal".

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .