I am aware that "言われる" means "to be told". My impression would be that "私に言われても" means "Even if I told you..." while "私が言われても" means "Even if I am told...".

But this site answer seems to suggest that another interpretation of "私に言われても" is "Even if I am told..."

Is that a correct interpretation, and, if possible to explain, why?

言われても is Suffering Passive (迷惑の受身), a kind of Indirect Passive Structure (間接受身構文), and 私言われても is Direct Passive Structure (直接受身構文).

「(あなたが)私に言う」 (Active/能動) "You tell me."
→ Direct Passive: 「私が(あなたに)言われる」 "I am told (by you)."
→ Indirect Passive: 「(私が)(あなたに)私に*言われる」 "You tell me (and it affects me in some way)." This means "You do the action 私言う (you tell me) and it affects me or I am suffered/annoyed, etc." *The に marks the indirect object of 言う.

So... yes, that is a correct interpretation, and 「私言われても(困る)...」 is actually far more natural and more common than 「私言われても...」 for saying "Even if I'm told / Even if you tell me (I can't do anything)..."

For more about Indirect Passive, you could refer to:

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.