Could someone enlighten me on how to say: "I think I understand (it) right now, but I'm not entirely sure (I will understand it) in future"? The speaker feels their understanding could go either way: either they'll remember, or they won't. 50/50.

My (laughably poor) attempt would be:

せめて今の所は分かるけど、未来は分かるのかどうか分からない。

Again, I'm sure that's probably riddle with errors. Yikes!

Many thanks in advance!

「せめて今{いま}の所{ところ}は分{わ}かるけど、未来{みらい}は分かるのかどうか分からない。」

Just by the look of it, at least, I know that you tried very hard and that is what counts.

「せめて」 , when correctly used, expresses one's minimum hope as in wanting "at least this much". It is used to express a desire. Thus, it feels out of place in this context. Incidentally, 「今のところ」, all by itself, covers what you want to say here.

「未来」 is a bigger word than Japanese-learners tend to think. That I know for sure after having dealt with J-learners for a few decades. A good word to know, of course, but it is too big here.

You used 「分かる」 three times in a short sentence and that is a little too many. This is, however, a minor thing compared to the two items I mentioned above.

So, how could we say this more naturally? We could say:

「今(のところ)は分かるけど、先{さき}のことは分からない。」

「今は分かったつもりだけど、(いつまでも/ずっと)覚{おぼ}えていられるかどうか分からない。」

「今は分かったつもりでいるけど、すぐに忘{わす}れてしまうかもしれない。」

I personally recommend the last two even though they look quite different from your original sentence. I would be lying if I said otherwise.

• (l'électeur, sorry, for some reason I'm still unable to tag anyone), many thanks for your very informative reply. Strangely enough, I was thinking the overuse of 「分かる」would be the least of my troubles, hahaha. All the translations are stellar, because all are expressing what I want to say but in slightly different ways. If you don't mind me asking, why would you only recommend the last two? (FTR, personally I agree—the last one is my favourite because of the 「てしまう」, which gives some emotion to the sentence.) – oh no the klaxons Nov 29 '17 at 3:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.