Continuation from my other question: if we were asking as a question, 'みたことがありますか。' Can we use the question はparticle interchangeably? Or which to use under which circumstances? Thanks!

Could you clarify your question please? It isn't clear what you are asking at the moment. – user3856370 Nov 26 '17 at 14:56

I think the question is clear enough, although there is no specific context.

I don't know whether all the questions about は/が should be regarded as "duplicated questions." If so, I had better not write this. But anyway, I will try to answer it.

Now I think that the both of は and が are almost completely interchangeable and have the same meaning, in general.

The choice depends on each concrete context. It depends on other grammatical rules.

For example:

日本に行ったことはありますか? a

日本に行ったことがありますか? b

a and b are completely the same and it depends only on the speaker's preference.

あなた日本に行ったことありますか? c

あなた日本に行ったことありますか? d

I believe not a few Japanese would choose d, because c includes the double "は" s which seem less natural to native-Japanese speakers' ears.

Hope this helps!

• C is not less natural to me. – user4092 Nov 27 '17 at 12:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.