So I learned about させる, that it's like to influence someone to do something. Then we found this sentence on hunter x hunter. ミトさんは (ゴンさんに)ハンター (を)受けさせたくない んだよ。

A bit of context, Mito don't want Gone to take the hunter exam. Now I would translate 受けさせたくない as "not want to force him to take it", but my teacher told me it was wrong. For a half hour, he tried to explain it to me but I still didn't get it.

Can you guys help me? Thanks, Or

~させる can also mean "to let (someone) do~~" "to allow (someone) to do~~". See definition #2 in プログレッシブ和英中辞典:

させる
・・・
2 〔望みどおりにさせる〕let ((a person do)),allow ((a person to do))
お前には好きなようにさせてやろう
I will let you do as you wish.
一言述べさせていただきます
Let me [Allow me to] say one thing./I'd like to say one thing, if I may.

so how about translating it as...

ミトさんは(ゴンさんに)ハンター(を)受けさせたくないんだよ。
"Mito-san doesn't want to let Gon-san take the hunter exam."

• Would "Doesn't want to not let him take it" be 受けさせなくたくない? – Nahcirn Nov 26 '17 at 9:49
    @Nahcirn I don't think 「受けさせなくたくない」 makes any sense... You don't say 「~なくたく~」 or 「~なくたい」. – Chocolate Nov 26 '17 at 12:22
  • @Nahcirn that sentence seems unnecessarily convoluted and makes me take pause even reading it in english – frei Nov 27 '17 at 6:14
  • I see, the させる stuff is really complicated. "I don't want to force you" and "I don't want to let you" are written in the same way? there is a way to separate between these two meanings? – Smiled_One Nov 27 '17 at 6:23
    @Smiled_One Yes, they are written in the same way (Although させる usually means "let/allow" when you say させてもらう, させていただく, させてあげる, させてくれる etc, and "make/force/compel" when you say させられる), so 「受けさせたくない」 can mean either "don't want to let (him) take" or "don't want to force (him) to take". Here in your example "let/allow" just fits the context "Mito don't want Gone to take the hunter exam", so.. it'd usually be up to the context... Good luck! :) – Chocolate Nov 27 '17 at 13:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.