For full context: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/k10011231671000/k10011231671000.html

The sentence in question: 来年は、今年より約19%多い2万8200tのクロマグロを取ってもいいことが決まりました。

First, my attempt at translation: "Concerning the next year, it was decided that fishing about 19% from this years..."

I didn't finish the sentence because when I include this 多い into my translation, it becomes gibberish. Judging from the context, I would say that this sentence tells us that it was decided that fishing about 19% of this years amount of fished pacific bluefin tuna would be okay. This years amount of fished p.b.t was 2万8200t or 28200 tonnes. However, I'm also guessing a bit at this point because I just don't know what function this 多い fulfills here and wether it means something like "amount" here instead of "many".

• I didn't know this either, but Googling around, it looks like "%多い" is used to mean "percent more." I'm sure someone can elaborate, but I think it's just "It has been decided that next year's bluefin catch limit will be 28,200 tonnes, up 19% from last year." – mamster Nov 22 '17 at 19:16
  • "from this year", rather. – mamster Nov 22 '17 at 20:55

In this context, 来年 は 今年より...多い implies "Next year, the fishery amount of bluefin tuna is guaranteed as 28200 tonnes which is more than this year by approx 19%." or using the comment above "...which is up by approx 19% from this year." or like the other answer "...which is up by approx 119% as many as this year.".

As for "A より B は ... 多い/少ない" or "Bは Aより ... 多い/少ない", "より... 多い/少ない" implies "more...than" or "less/fewer...than" in English comparative. "A より Bは" or "Bは Aより" implies B is the subject in comparison to A.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.