Here is the sentence containing the verb in て-form.

ひさしぶりに この本皮のグローブがしっとりと敵の血をすって なんともいえねえ においをかがしてくれる....

As my understanding, the pattern てくれる use て-form verb which the verb would be 嗅{か}いで.

Is the verb 「かがして」 Tokyo dialect?

• I regard this as western dialect. sooda.jp/qa/64036 – naruto Nov 21 '17 at 10:51
  • If so, how would you explain the use of 「いえねえ」 by the same speaker? There is nothing western about that, is there? – l'électeur Nov 21 '17 at 16:54

The base verb here is:

「嗅{か}ぐ」= "to smell something"

「かがて」 is the fairly common colloquial (and slightly slangy) version of「かがて」. This is the テ-form of 「かがせる」("to let one smell something"), which is in the causative form of 「かぐ」. Please make sure you are following this because every word is important in this paragraph.

「かがして」 is not Tokyo dialect; It is used everywhere. People say 「見{み}て」 for 「見て」("Let me see."), 「食{た}べさて」 for 「食べさて」("Let me eat".), etc. colloquially. I do not think this is taught in Japanese-as-a-foreign-language, and I do not think J-learners should be using these until they are really fluent, either.

"For the first time in so long, these leather gloves that have surely been sucking my opponents' blood are now letting me smell an indescribable smell."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.