I encountered this sentence in a textbook

野菜をたくさん買ったので、店の人に家まで届けてもらいました。

Which one of the following would the sentence is supposed to mean?

Since [I] bought a lot of vegetables, [I] had a guy at the shop deliver the vegetables home for me.

or

Since [I] bought a lot of vegetables, I received home delivery.

Does the verb もらう in the form ~てもらう always mean to have someone do something for me instead of only to receive something?

The second reading is not valid. When a もらう is a full verb meaning "receive", its object (and only full verbs can take an object) must be some form of noun and followed by a を. The 家まで届けて is not any kind of noun phrase. It cannot quite work like "home delivery" does.

So the first one, where the もらう is correctly interpreted as a subsidiary verb, is the right one.

It is possible, however, for the もらう in the string ~てもらう to be a full verb describing a distinct act of receiving something, as in relatively rare cases where the object of a もらう that follows another verb is omitted. For example:

お砂糖が切れていたので、お隣に行ってもらってきました。"I was out of sugar, so I went next door and got some.")

• Does ~てもらう (as in the example in the question) also always imply that I ask or tell somebody to do the thing? – Petch Puttichai Nov 20 '17 at 13:48

「Verb in て-form + もらう」

always means:

"to have someone (verb) for me (or whoever that is being talked about)"

It is that someone who performs the action described by the verb and the other person (I/you/he/they, etc.) is the one that receives the service/kindness.

Thus the sentence in question means what your first translation says.

If you see/hear the phrase:

「Noun + + もらう」

it means "someone receives something". If what you receive is a service instead of a thing, you cannot use 「~~をもらう」.

For example, I just returned from my lunch at a steak restaurant. When I paid at the cashier, the clerk game me a free coupon for all-you-can-drink softdrinks that I could use next time. If I were to tell someone about this, I might say:

「ドリンクバーのタダ券{けん}もらった or もらっちゃった。」

(「ドリンクバー」 means "all-you-can-drink softdrinks" and 「タダ券」, a "free coupon".)

〜てもらう means to have something done for you.

友達に質問を先生に聞いてもらいました。 (I) had a friend ask the teacher a question for me.

The meaning of receiving something is more explicit with を.

先生はプレゼントをもらいました。 The teacher received a gift.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.