I was hearing somthing in japanese and they said something like " to omou ute sa bi(?) kara kakuyoktte" my friend said it means " i thought the refrain was cool" i don't understand how she picked that up from this sentence if chorus is "gassho". Is there another way to say the word?

• This site isn't for mere translation requests, but I'll give you a hint. There's more than one meaning of "chorus" in English. – Leebo Nov 18 '17 at 23:29
  • Try a dictionary... サビ – macraf Nov 18 '17 at 23:30

" to omou ute sa bi(?) kara kakuyoktte" is a little bit gibberish. However, I will focus on possible equivalent of chorus “sabi: サビ”

サビ is a catchy part of a song. As you say, a refrain should be most impressive part of the song. The part is the most memorable part which is most melodious part of a song.

ex.) "サビ" is not really a rigorously defined term. As for me, サビ in Eagles "Hotel California" should be the part "Welcome to the Hotel California~". THe famous guitar unison is an impressive part though, it may not be "サビ". For me, quasi-"サビ" though. I think "サビ" should contain lyrics. So long as I remember, in a karaoke box, for the part without lyrics they say intro, interlude, guitar riff, etc. even if they had a melody.

In English we often use the word “hook” for this. – mamster Nov 19 '17 at 3:19
  • @mamster I think 曲の”フック” is used for songs like J-hard-rock band B’z. They have impressive phrase of guitar-riff and a catchy melody. Is it similar to “hook”? – user25382 Nov 19 '17 at 3:39
  • Yes, I’m sure it’s the same word! – mamster Nov 19 '17 at 14:24
  • @mamster gotcha. – user25382 Nov 19 '17 at 14:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.