I wanna ask you about the difference between [怖]{お}じける and [恐]{おそ}れる. Both mean to be scary right?

• Which is more common?
  • How do I use each in a sentence?
  • Are they interchangeable?

I would define them as:

• (~を)恐れる: to fear (something)

• (~に)怖じける: to flinch or cower in fear (at something) ; get frightened

A1) I would say 恐れる is more common, in terms of the absolute number of uses, but since their meaning are slightly different, I don't think there's much of a point in comparing.

A2) Here's an example I made for each.「獣は火を恐れる。」: "Animals fear fire."「熊は炎に怖じけて、逃げて行った。」: "The bear flinched at the fire, and ran away."

A3) Some of the time, I guess.

I think the words are often interchangeable and hard to distinguish. So, the difference is subtle. My interpretation is the following:

怖{お}じける is used often when it is in an unknown situation such as jumping off from the cliff or going into a ruined building at midnight. You are testing your courage.

On the other hand, 恐{おそ}れる is used often when you are scared of the known/learned situation which had happened before.

If you are being bitten by the dog before, next time you might be afraid of touching it. Or getting food-poisoning by eating a raw oyster, you are afraid of having food-poisoning again by eating it. I think -phobia in English is close to 恐れる.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.