Why is using wo, now seemingly optional? Now I tend to only see noun suru opposed to noun wo suru/shimasu. What are the implications/ connotations of using or not using wo? Are there times where you have to use it or is it now down to formality?

(sorry my Japanese keyboard isn't working)

Can you please give some specific examples? It's not clear whether you're talking about する verbs such as 勉強する or using する with an "unaffiliated" noun like 何かをする. You're right that it's common to drop the を in casual conversation in the second case, but in writing and more formal speech it's required. In the case of する verbs, it's often ungrammatical to include the を. For example, 日本語を勉強する is correct but 日本語を勉強をする is not. – mamster Nov 12 '17 at 15:18
  • ( sorry my Japanese keyboard isn't working) for example, we learnt to get married is kekkon wo shimasu, but now we would just say kekkon shimasu both seemingly interchangeable. Also with nanika wo suru, is it not also correct to say nanisuru? – lois.e Nov 12 '17 at 15:30
    ^ They are not always interchangeable. You can say 幸せな結婚する but not 幸せな結婚する, and 特別な何かする but not 特別な何かする, since 結婚 and 何か in 結婚をする/何かをする are nouns and the objects for the verb する. – Chocolate Nov 12 '17 at 16:21

The を particle is often left out of casual conversations, in fact casual conversations in general enjoy the luxury of not having to use as many particles as polite/formal speech.

Example: 日本語を話す。 ー> 日本語話す。

Even in polite/formal speech its common to see 私は日本語話します。

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.