What is the difference between お見舞い and 薬? Both are translated as "medicine" by Google Translate

I guess that お見舞い is more like a treatment while 薬 is actual medicine people take

closed as off-topic by l'électeur, Chocolate, macraf, Dono, 永劫回帰 Nov 15 '17 at 12:12

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Questions asking for translations, transcriptions or proofreading are off-topic unless prior research effort is clearly indicated; we're here to help you learn, not to provide a bulk translation service nor to proofread your translations or transcriptions. See: We don't do translations." – l'électeur, macraf, Dono
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

• Ι get “sympathy” on Google translate web while getting “medicine” as you say on Mobile App. google.co.jp/… – user25382 Nov 11 '17 at 23:40
  • @kimiTanaka this is weird. Google says it's "sympathy" in search results, but if you click on the link to GT, it translates it as "medicine". Also, sympathy doesn't fit the context (neither does "medicine") – Marat Nov 11 '17 at 23:53
    Google Translate doesn't count as prior research effort. Look up the word お見舞い or 見舞い at least in an online dictionary before you post a question. – Chocolate Nov 12 '17 at 1:30
  • @Chocolate Can advise a reasonable online dictionary? – Marat Nov 12 '17 at 16:41
  • @Marat How about... goo辞書(プログレッシブ和英), or Weblio和英辞書, or アルク英辞郎? For more, see this list -> japanese.meta.stackexchange.com/a/761/9831 – Chocolate Nov 25 '17 at 3:50

As you know, 薬 normally refers to an actual medicine, while お見舞い is an act of encouraging used normally when someone gets sick, but not limited to the case.

Basically お見舞い implies you see how they are going, giving a book or food to get them well and so on. It is rather an act and not necessarily a substance you can buy for a treatment at the pharmacy.

As for Google Translate, you should provide a sentence for a better translation. Using Google Translate at work, with only one word like "decline", I get "低下 ≅ falling down" when I want to get "拒否 ≅ turned down".

• This makes perfect sense, thank you. I do not remember the exact phrase, but it was somebody coming to a hospital for this – Marat Nov 12 '17 at 1:19

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.