As usual, I'm having trouble with this particle. Here's the sentence:

誰にでも見られるところに堂々と張り出し、私たちの知恵挑戦する。

I don't understand. I would personally have written "私たちの知恵を挑戦する。". How is に effective here? Or is it one of those special verbs that can use に ?

挑戦する or 挑む are intransitive and equivalent to 行く in terms of case relation. – user4092 Nov 11 '17 at 6:00

This に has the nuance of the meaning of 対して, it may be close to "to" and "for". Dictionaries say 動作・作用の行われる対象・相手を表す.

We generally say to ~に挑戦する, not ~を挑戦する. Other examples are に近づく, に乗る, に行く, etc. Intransitive verbs don't take を as the object marker.

Of course, transitive verbs take を as the object marker as in 車を運転する.

Further, direct object takes を and indirect object takes に as in 彼にボールを投げた.

| improve this answer | |

「挑戦{ちょうせん}する」 is an intransitive verb; therefore, it cannot take 「を」 as the object marker. It takes 「に」 instead.

Thus, 「私達の知恵に挑戦する」 means "to challenge our intelligence".

(The first part of your sentence 「誰にでもところに」 makes no sense, so I would not attempt at translating the whole sentence. You must have miscoppied that part.)

| improve this answer | |
  • Haha, sorry. I will edit. If it is intransitive, can it take が ? In fact I'm a bit confused because I often see する verbs with the を particle. – Ushiromiya Nov 10 '17 at 13:54
  • I will be honest; You sound very confused about basic grammar points. Transitivity of a verb has nothing to do with the verb being a suru-verb or not. It just so happens that 挑戦する is intransitive. You need to memorize it one by one. The same goes for English; There is no secret formula. It is just part of language acquisition, mother tongue or foreign lingo. 「が」 has nothing to do with verb transitivity. If you see a が right in front of 挑戦する, that would be the subject marker. 「私がスノボに挑戦する。」= "I'll challenge snowboarding." – l'électeur Nov 10 '17 at 14:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.