Just for a silly post I want to make, I want to say, "Ya! I got my car back!" My attempt at this is 「やった!僕の車復帰した!」 As in, I was without my car for a few days while it was being repaired, and now I have it again.

Is this correct? I looked up "returned" and 復帰 sounded like it expressed what I wanted. It was defined as a suru verb, so is した correct conjugation for past tense?

Unless you are saying this jokingly, you would not use a big Sino-loanword like 「復帰{ふっき}」 at all. Trust me, you would sound more than weird if you used it.

Native speakers would say:

「やっ車{くるま}が戻{もど}ってきた!」

We would not use the pronoun "my" here because everyone would know whose car you are talking about.

Lastly, we do not use 「やっ」 nearly as often as Japanese-learners have been using it recently.

• Is 「やっと」more like "yay!" here or (as my dictionary says) "finally!" I'm curious because in English using "yay" just implies excitement while "finally" used instead adds a bit of "I'm excited but it took longer than I would have liked."
    – Andy
    Nov 10 '17 at 1:02
    @Andy やっと is certainly more like "Finally!" in English, but is certainly more proper to use in Japanese for situations such as these. やった might be an exclamation such as "yay!" in English but Japanese people in general don't really exclaim this way that often? Just how pervasive and commonplace "Yay" in English is, is certainly the reason why more Japanese-learners lean toward expressing excitement with やった where in Japanese it might be implied or expressed merely with the tone of one's voice
    – psosuna
    Nov 10 '17 at 1:10
  • @psosuna I understand your point about 「やった」, and I'm fine with 「やっと」, I'm just curious if it adds any negativity like using "finally" might in (written) English. These subtle things can be tricky :-)
    – Andy
    Nov 10 '17 at 1:22
    @Andy I totally agree with l'électeur about 復帰, but やっと and やった are so different and I don't understand why he changed it this way. If he doesn't like やった, he should have suggested よっしゃ, or anything he usually uses. Anyway, I believe やった is not bad at all, at least as a blog post, tweet, etc.
    – naruto
    Nov 10 '17 at 1:27
    @Andy: I think there are two kinds of ways to express a joy. They are a dynamic joy and a static joy. "やった!" is a dynamic joy suitable to express one's excitement positively, while "やっと" is not simply "finally" but the expression of "安堵感{あんどかん} sense of relief or feeling of relief" of getting back one's car repaired without problems.
    – mackygoo
    Nov 10 '17 at 4:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.