I'm writing with a japanese penfriend on italki, and I've got a few problems with what she has written me in japanese ^^

For context: Amongst other things, I've written her that I've changed my profession. I successfully finished my studies to become a teacher, but I've changed into the IT-sector because in my country (germany, bavaria) there is no need for teachers on schools anymore for the subjects I've studied.

Now, I haven't written her this backgroundinformation and as far as I can understand, she tries to convince to go for it :D The problem is, as I said, that I don't understand everything she has written me.

So first, the full text: 仕事を始めるとき、最初の何年かはとても大変ですね。でも嫌でも続ける事は、何か自分に意味があります。そういうふうに、日本では言います。だから、本当に自分のしたい事が今できなくても、できるときがくるので、そのときまで粘ってください!かな???

What is meant with 最初の何年かは? Does the topicmarker は include the とき phrase as well? => "(Concerning?) The time you start your work, (concerning?) the how many years of the onset it is horrible.

I still have some more questions about this message of hers, but I will put them into separate threads so that there aren't too many on one thread.

[何年]{なんねん}か means "a few / several years" (≂ [数年]{すうねん})

cf:

[何日]{なんにち}か ≂ [数日]{すうじつ} "a few / several days"
[何人]{なんにん}か ≂ [数人]{すうにん} "a few / several people"
[何回]{なんかい}か ≂ [数回]{すうかい} "a few / several times"

So 最初の何年か means "the first few years", and the は is a topic marker.

仕事を始めるとき、最初の何年かはとても大変ですね。
When you start a new job, the first few years will (usually) be really tough/hard/difficult.

p.s. 「数+counter」 sounds a bit more formal than 「何+counter+か」.

• 「何日か」と「数日」はこのように入れ替われるのか?日本語習ってた時、「『数個』は必ず4つや5つ」って先生に言われた – Sjiveru Nov 10 '17 at 4:29
    @Sjiveru 意味はほぼ同じだと思いますけど、「何日か」「何人か」「何個か」「何ヶ月か」などと「数日」「数人」「数個」「数か月」などが、それ‌​ぞれ厳密に「2~3」なのか「3~4」なの‌​か「4~5」なのかは人によって違うようで‌​、辞書などでも「2~3」だったり「5~6‌​」だったりします。デジタル大辞泉「数個」NHK「数日」は何日ぐらい ←これらを見ても、「『数個』は必ず4つや5つ」とは言い切れないと思います。「何~か」と「数~」のどちらが多いかはちょっと‌​わかりません。一つの違いとしては、「何~‌​か」のほうが「数~」よりカジュアルで、普‌​段の改まらない会話では「数~」より「何~‌​か」のほうがよく使われると思います – Chocolate Nov 10 '17 at 5:07
  • モノの個数が多いとか、分などの60分当たりとかの場合は、数~は4~5でも通りそうですね。週とかの単位が7日当たりになると、2~3になるでしょうかね。 – user25382 Nov 10 '17 at 8:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.