Is it redundant to give an assumed case and then use the どうすればいい construction?

E.g.

不合格だとすればどうすればいいですか。

If so, what's a better way to express this sentiment?

I think 不合格だったらどうする/しますか works.
    – Sweeper
    Nov 8, 2017 at 18:46

2 Answers 2

The sentence:

「不合格{ふごうかく}だとすればどうすればいいですか。」

sounds fairly awkward for using both 「だとすれば」 and 「どうすれば」 back-to-back. If it were grammar that mattered, however, the sentence would be perfectly grammatical. Nontheless, careful speakers/writers would probably not say it that way.

To be honest, the biggest problem that I, as a native speaker, have with this sentence is that I have no idea who it is talking about. Who is the one that might not pass? Who is the one that would/should do something upon finding out about the failure?

You could say:

「(もし)不合格だったらどうすればいいですか/いいでしょうか。」

if you are asking about what you yourself should do.

If, however, you are asking about what the other person should/would do, you might say:

「(もし)不合格だったらどうしますか/どうするつもりですか。」

I think l’electeur explained it in detail.

However, if you quantify X as numerical value and saying “Xだとすればどうすればいい”, now say 不合格 as 40. But other people might believe X as 70 which is regarded as success. In this kind of case, 不合格だとすればどうすればいいですか might work. You are going against other’s evaluation. Say, your family wanted you to go to a big company in Japan. However, you decided to be a musician. In this case, とすればどうすればいいですか works.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.