I translaed the first line of しろくまカフェ to:

笹{ささ}を 食{た}べながらのんびりするのは 最高{さいこう}だなあ

Eating bamboo while relaxing is the best

But there are a couple of particles that I wasn't quite sure of. Any advice would be much appreciated.

1. するの: I understand that のんびり is a so-called "する verb", so this takes する at the end to turn it into a verb, but what role does the の particle play here? I normally undersatnd it to be the possessive (mine, his, yours etc) but does it play a different role here?

enter image description here

In this case, it turns the verb into a noun. In order to comment on the nature of the activity of eating bamboo while lying around, you first have to turn it into a noun phrase, and の does that here.

こと can be used to create noun phrases as well, but there are cases where they are not interchangeable.

I recommend reading the imabi article on the subject.

• The author of the article seems very skilled but still cannot write あの事件のこと は よく覚えている for #8. This part seems somehow difficult, after all. – user4092 Nov 8 '17 at 8:01
  • @user4092 Sorry, not sure what you mean. – Leebo Nov 8 '17 at 8:19
  • Sorry, never mind. It's comment for imabi, not your answer. – user4092 Nov 8 '17 at 10:48
    ^ imabi って例文結構間違ってますね。。#36「情報目を通す」も変ですし。 – Chocolate Nov 8 '17 at 14:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.