What is the difference between この and こちら/こっち

(こっち is the informal form of こちら)

The definitions my book provide are as follows:

(この = This)

(Example = (この子 = (This is) my child))

(こちら/こっち = This(person))

(Example #1 = (こちらは本堂さんです = This (person) is Mr Hondou))

(Example #2 = (こっちは家内です = This is my wife)

Please help!

Grammatically, この functions as a pre noun only adjective, while the other functions as a noun. このneeds to be in front of a noun for it to do anything, or else it might not make a whole lotta sense

• So, what is the difference between introducing someone with この vs こちら/こっち, because technically from what your saying, you can introduce someone with この because that person is a noun – George Nov 6 '17 at 15:17
  • The difference between the two is as follows: この needs something following it to make it properly function, especially if it doesn't imply anything. For example, if someone were to say "this" in a chat, they might say, "this...what, exactly?" if they don't know the context the speaker expects them to. こちら is a polite way to introduce something or someone, and is complete in and of itself – Roy Fuentes Nov 8 '17 at 0:10

Also こちら can also refer to place/location, "here", as in someone can tell you こちらへどうぞ (This way, please), but yeah, in most cases it refers to persons and it's a more polite to address someone, like when you introduce them. There is also the use of こちらの which, from the cases that I know, can be translated as "our". Imagine someone talking to you and saying for example: "Our/こちら___(item, person etc.) is__(insert qualities here). It's like someone talking in the name of a collective. Sorry if I explained it bad! That's just how I understand them!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.