I am trying to translate a scene early on in Attack on Titan but having some trouble with one line.

Link to the scene in question

This is what I have so far:

総員戦闘用意

All units, prepare for battle

• 総員{そういん} - all members/all units
  • 戦闘{せんとう} - battle
  • 用意{ようい} - preperation

目標は一体だ

the objective is one body ?

I don't quite understand what is being said here. Are they saying their objective is to get 1 body, as in to kill 1 titan, Or is it more along the lines of "we are share the same objective" ?

• 目標{もくひょう} - mark; objective; target​
  • 一体{いったい} - one object; one body; unity​

必ず仕留め

be sure to take it down

• 必{かなら}ず - always; without exception; necessarily; certainly; without fail; positively; invariably​
  • 仕留{しと}め - to bring down (a bird); to kill​

ここを我々人類最初の壁外拠点とする

here we will make humankind's first base outside of the walls

• ここを我々{われわれ} - here we
  • 人類{じんるい}最初{さいしょ}の - humankind's first
  • 壁外{へきがい} - outside of the wall
  • 拠点{きょてん}とする - to be based in (a place)​

Any general feedback is also most welcome.

Here 体 is just another counter for animals, robots, statues, etc, which is usable whether they are big or small. So "one titan", not "the same objective". I think 体 is preferred in contexts where you have to refer to things matter-of-factly. Using 匹 or 頭 would not be wrong, but they would feel less "objective". See: Why was "一匹" used for Godzilla?

Other parts of your translation look perfect to me.

• Thanks naruto! So it's similar to the 台 counter for machines? – Bassie Nov 6 '17 at 7:27
  • Yes, you can say 1体, 5体, 100万体, and so on. – naruto Nov 6 '17 at 7:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.