Can someone help figure out how the sentence in the title post can be translated? The full sentence is
私はどうなりたっかたんだろう.
I loosely translated as "I wanted to become something". but I'm not sure if it's right at all, especially with だろう at the end, I don't know what nuance should be. If it helps, there's another sentence that follows
本当は彼らの何になりたっかたんだろう
It's a girl speaking here and I think that in the last line she says "I wanted to become something for him/ or his something". She is talking about a friend who is in trouble and how she wants to be there for him. Can someone tell me if I somehow got the gist of them? Thank you!

なりたっかたんだろう should be a typo for なりたかったんだろう – Chocolate Nov 6 '17 at 8:45

(の/ん)だろう has various meanings. When it is used with interrogatives like いつ, どこ, なぜ, it adds the nuance of "I wonder".

• なぜだろう? I wonder why?
  • どこでやっているんだろう? I wonder where it's taking place.

So 私はどうなりたかったんだろう is "I wonder who I wanted to become."

• 私はパイロットになりたい。 I want to become a pilot.
  • 私はパイロットになりたかった。 I wanted to become a pilot.
  • 私はどうなりたかった? Who did I want to become?
  • 私はどうなりたかったんだろうI wonder who I wanted to become.

どうなる actually means "how (something/someone) turns out to be", but I think using "who" is enough.

彼らの何になりたかったんだろう is trickier because 彼らの何 is difficult to translate literally:

• 彼らの友人になりたい。 I want to become their friends.
  • 彼らの友人になりたかった。 I wanted to become their friends.
  • 彼らのになりたかったのか? Who, from their standpoint, did I want to become?
  • 彼らの何になりたかったのだろう? I wonder who did I want to become for them?
  • Thank you so much! It's much clearer now! And yeah, the second sentence might have sounded a bit weird but now, from the 4th example, I think that is the best translation. Thank you so much! It was really helpful. – Alice B. Rabbit Nov 6 '17 at 10:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.