I am currently confused with this:

あぁ 花火が夜空 きれいに咲いて ちょっとセツナク

Google translate translate this part:

花火が夜空

as "Fireworks in the night sky". So, is that mean particle がcan be used to indicate location? If it so, is there any reference so I can understand it better?

However, can I say "Fireworks in the night sky" in Japanese like this:

夜空に花火

Thank you.

• Please add more context. What is the full sentence? Or the sentences before and after. It could just be a shortened version of something like 花火が夜空を彩る. Some more info would help. – kandyman Nov 5 '17 at 15:08
  • @kandyman I have edited the post to give better context. Please help me :) – Husain Nov 5 '17 at 16:06
    Isn't this が just marking the subject of 咲く? – user3856370 Nov 5 '17 at 16:59
    The line is from song lyrics, right? Grammatically I think it should be 花火が夜空 きれいに咲いて... but they wanted to make it 7 mora long, maybe?? – Chocolate Nov 5 '17 at 17:25
  • You've got not only the assumption of the meaning wrong, but also seem to be confused how particles work in Japanese. If が was to indicate location, it would be "night sky (located) in the fireworks". – macraf Nov 6 '17 at 2:42

This looks like a poem to me. Apart from the あぁ at the start, it's in a 7-7-7 moraic configuration, which suggests the writer is adhering to a particular scheme. If this is a poem, the usual rules of grammar don't apply. There are a lot of ways in which poets 'bend the rules' of grammar in order to keep to the standardized form. So I wouldn't be too worried if something looks a little out of place sometimes.

Having said that, the が here is just pointing out the subject of a verb, which is 花火. The verb is 咲く, ie 花火が咲く. However, it's also possible that another verb is omitted in the first phrase, like the 花火が夜空を彩る I mentioned in my comment. Then 咲く is used again with 花火 still as the subject.

In either case, the が is just the normal subject marker.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.