I downloaded Genki and the CDs that came with it. しごと was pronounced as 'shingocto' instead of 'shigoto.' Why is that?

Is your native language English? Japanese "g" does occasionally sound like ng, but I don't understand where you're getting "gocto"; there shouldn't be a "c" sound anywhere in there. – Kurausukun Nov 5 '17 at 5:09
  • It was probably pronounced wrong in the cd. So is it pronounced "Shingoto" then? – Starsalign Nov 5 '17 at 5:28
    Some dialects of Japanese (particularly common ones) have a nasal g sound. It's not しんごと though. – Leebo Nov 5 '17 at 5:57
    Read here for the "proper" pronunciation of 「ご」: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/26227/… – l'électeur Nov 5 '17 at 8:15
    Possible duplicate of The nasal allophones of /g/ – a20 Nov 6 '17 at 7:32

I am not native, but when I have spoken with Japanese or even watched TV / movies I have never heard 仕事{しごと} any way but as しごと

Feel free to find other sources of audio (actually do!)

I found a great video that start off with 仕事

To my ears, his accent (if he has one) is spot on. Although a native speaker is a much better judge of that.

|improve this answer|||||
    鼻濁音を正しく発音してるアナウンサーのビデオとか持ってきてくんないとあんま参考には・・・ – Chocolate May 31 '18 at 12:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.