Do all colours work as な adjectives or い adjectives when using て form 'and'? In a sentence such as "my phone is white and small", would it be 私のけいたいは白い小さいです。OR ~けいたいはしろくて~? Also, if the colour were to change to a less basic colour, like はいいろ, would the 'and' form change?

Japanese colors are nouns that work as no-adjectives, except for six basic colors which also have i-adjective versions. I don't think there is a color name that works as a na-adjective.

• 白くて is correct but 白いで is ungrammatical, because 白い is an i-adjective. 白で is acceptable, but 白くて is much more common. Similarly, you should usually say 赤くて小さい, 青くて小さい, 黒くて小さい, and so on, while 赤で/青で/黒で is also sometimes used.
  • 灰色で is correct but 灰色くて is ungrammatical, because 灰色 is a no-adjective. Similarly, you should say 緑色で小さい, オレンジで小さい, ピンクで小さい, and so on.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.