I wanted to tell a friend about a time when I had to get a dental filling. My instinct was to use 受ける or もらう, but Google tells me this is incorrect. Would I simply say:

去年、歯が詰め物した。

or perhaps

去年、歯が詰め物してしまった。

Furthermore, what actually happened was I had to have a filling replaced. Is this correct?

詰め物した歯を交換してくれた。

(Edit: I just realized this means I'm replacing the tooth, not the filling. 歯の詰め物, not 詰め物がした歯, right?)

And is 歯 required? In English, "I got a filling" clearly implies "dental filling," but I get the sense that this is not the case in Japanese. Thanks!

• Why use 「が」 at all? – l'électeur Nov 4 '17 at 16:47
  • Would it be 歯を詰め物した?I'm trying to understand the proper collocations. Thanks. Or の? – mamster Nov 4 '17 at 17:34

I'd say:

歯に詰め物をした
歯を詰めた

You can use もらう as a subsidiary verb, as in:

歯に詰め物をしてもらった
歯に詰め物を入れてもらった
歯を詰めてもらった

To say "I had a tooth filled with [some material]", you can say 「歯に[樹脂・白いもの・レジン etc.]を詰めた・詰めてもらった」.

To say "I had a filling replaced", you could say:

歯の詰め物を交換した (or 交換してもらった)

... but I think it's more common to say:

歯を詰め直した
歯を詰め直してもらった

And is 歯 required? In English, "I got a filling" clearly implies "dental filling," but I get the sense that this is not the case in Japanese.

Yes... you'd usually need to say 「歯」... though I think you could leave it out when you just said 「歯医者(さん)で...」, like 「昨日、歯医者さんで詰め物をしてもらった。」... But 「昨日、歯医者さんで詰めた。」 still sounds a bit strange...

In this case, for filling a tooth with ceramic, silver, resins, etc. you can say

歯に詰め物をした。

or

you can say X as the fillings.

Xで歯を詰めた。

Considering the collocations 歯 with が, when your teeth fell out,

歯が抜けた.

When your wisdom teeth touching back teeth,

親知らずが奥歯に当たる.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.