The full sentence: 彼女と知り合えたのは、寝坊していつもと違う電車に乗ったおかげです。

My attempt at translation: "Concerning that I could get to know my girlfriend, it is thanks to that I got onto a different train when always oversleeping."

I got problems with the parts in bold/italic.

First, I'm confused by いつもと. Is it いつも+と or a short form of いつも通り (= http://jisho.org/search/itsumoto) Since いつも is positioned strangely compared to what I usually encountered in my textbook so far, I would guess that it is the latter. In this case, I would find it easier to interprete the sentence:

a)"Concerning that I could get to know my girlfriend, it is thanks to that I, oversleeping as usual, got onto a different train."

or

b) "Concerning that I could get to know my girlfriend, it is thanks to that I, oversleeping, got onto a different train than usual."

In version b, the A と B は 違う construction (if I remember correctly) would be reflected. However, いつも通り meaning "as usual", I'm still skeptical about wether or not I can make such a modification from "as" to "than".

彼女と知り合えたのは、寝坊していつもと違う電車に乗ったおかげです。

• 寝坊して means 寝坊したので because I overslept
  • いつもと違う means いつも乗る電車と違う different from the train I always take

彼女と知り合えたのは、寝坊していつもと違う電車に乗ったおかげです。= 彼女と知り合えたのは、いつも乗る電車と違う電車に乗ったおかげです。+ 寝坊したので

So my attempt is:

I got acquainted with her thanks to having taken a train which was different from what I had always taken because I overslept.

• 英語ちょっとだけ直しましたけど、もしまだ間違ってたらすみません… – naruto Nov 1 '17 at 16:52
  • Having took → having taken. I always take → I had always taken. – user25382 Nov 1 '17 at 21:38
    I'm not sure I understand why you say that "寝坊して means 寝坊したので". In my opinion this could be confusing. This is simply the continuation of a sentence with the て-form. I agree that in the end the meaning is as you say, but maybe should be explained better. Maybe I would have translated it as I could get to know the girl thanks to the fact that I overslept AND got on a train different than the usual. – Tommy Nov 2 '17 at 7:00
  • @Tommy: 「寝坊したので彼女に会(←合)えた。」は「塞翁が馬」とでも言える解釈ですね。これは大いにあります。むしろ私の解釈より良いかも知れません。この場合は、ANDではなく、「 寝坊したお陰で 別の列車に乗り、彼女に会えた」と「別の列車に乗れたのは おまけ 」だと考えた方がよりきれいな解釈だと思いますが、どうですか。 – mackygoo Nov 2 '17 at 8:12
  • ^ えと・・話が噛みあってない・・ – Chocolate Nov 6 '17 at 2:11

The key to understanding it is to split 寝坊して "I overslept and..." and いつもと違う電車 "a train I don't usually take".

Here's my (slightly loose) translation:

"I was lucky enough to get to know my girlfriend from a time I overslept and ended up on a train I don't usually take".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.