Was there ever any practice of writing youon digraphs as a single character (taking up the same amount of space as a monograph), and if not would that be a good idea?

e.g. ハロウィーン or ハロウイーン instead of ハロウィーン, where ウイ (ウィ) would be treated as a single character.

• Someone might have done it for funny effect. Recently, technical difficulty of mixing hankaku kana has been solved for the most part, but I wouldn't recommend it in terms of readability. – user4092 Nov 1 '17 at 9:51
  • Although it is interesting, I think it is difficult to change the habit familiar to Japanese people. Why don't you think about the idea to express the singular form of "they/their/them/theirs" instead? – mackygoo Nov 1 '17 at 12:32
  • 「キョウモト」(京本)→「キョウモト」「キヨウモト」、「ショウコ」(翔子)→「ショウコ」「シヨウコ」、ってことですよね。。。既に全部半角の場合(eg「キョウ‌​モト」「ショウコ」とか。銀行振り込みとか‌​の。)はどうするんでしょう・・・ – Chocolate Nov 2 '17 at 7:19

There is no such rule in the Japanese grammar and I don't think it would be a good idea. I think it just weird.

This has nothing to do with grammar. – l'électeur Nov 1 '17 at 15:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.