Was there ever any practice of writing youon digraphs as a single character (taking up the same amount of space as a monograph), and if not would that be a good idea?

e.g. ハロウィーン or ハロウイーン instead of ハロウィーン, where ウイ (ウィ) would be treated as a single character.

  • Someone might have done it for funny effect. Recently, technical difficulty of mixing hankaku kana has been solved for the most part, but I wouldn't recommend it in terms of readability.
    – user4092
    Commented Nov 1, 2017 at 9:51
  • Although it is interesting, I think it is difficult to change the habit familiar to Japanese people. Why don't you think about the idea to express the singular form of "they/their/them/theirs" instead?
    – user20624
    Commented Nov 1, 2017 at 12:32
  • 「キョウモト」(京本)→「キョウモト」「キヨウモト」、「ショウコ」(翔子)→「ショウコ」「シヨウコ」、ってことですよね。。。既に全部半角の場合(eg「キョウ‌​モト」「ショウコ」とか。銀行振り込みとか‌​の。)はどうするんでしょう・・・
    – chocolate
    Commented Nov 2, 2017 at 7:19

1 Answer 1


There is no such rule in the Japanese grammar and I don't think it would be a good idea. I think it just weird.

  • 2
    This has nothing to do with grammar.
    – user4032
    Commented Nov 1, 2017 at 15:46

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .