I am a total noob when it comes to Japanese, so I am reading よつば Vol.1 to try and pick up some simple words/phrases.

On page 4, Yotsuba's father says, in response to her asking if there is a festival that day:

学校だ学校

I understand that he is telling her that there is a school, but is there a reason why he says this instead of just

学校だ

I figure this may just be an expressive thing, almost as if to say "Calm down, it's just a school", but I wanted to check if there is some grammatical reason why he says this.

Apologies if this question does not belong here, or if I have misunderstood something!

The panel in question:

enter image description here

「Noun + だ/よ/だよ, etc. + Same Noun」

is simply an emphatic way of saying

「Noun + だ/よ/だよ, etc.」

This expression is very common in informal daily conversations. You may want to remember that in Japanese, words tend to get repeated more often than in English.

Thus, 「学校{がっこう}だ学校」 here means "You have school today. School!"

「学校」 here means "school" and not "a school".

• Thank you for your answer, although I am not convinced that it means "you have school today", because I'm pretty sure she doesn't have school that day - I guess this depends on the context – Bassie Oct 29 '17 at 4:09
  • @Bassie he says it in response to her asking about "today" (きょう), and later on he says summer vacation starts tomorrow. So, "you have school today" does seem like a reasonable inference to make (not that the sentence literally means that, but that it's what he's trying to convey). Though, possibly a special event for the end of the school year, rather than actual class. – Ethan Kaminski Oct 29 '17 at 4:50
  • @EthanKaminski OK thanks for clearing that up, I guess that does make sense if you only look at that panel – Bassie Oct 29 '17 at 5:08
    This girl is 5 years old, just came to Japan, and doesn't even understand what a school is. So the father is just saying "It's (something called) a school." – naruto Oct 29 '17 at 7:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.