1) Is the plain "ja nai" after a verb grammatically correct?

aru ja nai?

wakatta ja nai?

2) Why use ja nai, why not a negative form of a verb :

aru ja nai? --> nai?

wakatta ja nai? --> wakaranakatta?

What's the difference?

• Are you sure what you're hearing/seeing doesn't have an ん after the first verb? あるん じゃない? わかったん じゃない? – istrasci Oct 28 '17 at 16:09
  • Maybe if someones talking about the verb itself, treating it like a noun. – Tirous Oct 28 '17 at 17:47

あるじゃない{HLLLL} (ない{HL})means "Look / Wow, there's (something)!".

あるじゃない{HLLLLH}? means "By the way / You know, there's (something), right?".

あるじゃない{HLLLHL} means "It's not ある! / Shut up! Don't say ある!".

あるじゃないぃ{HLLLHLH}? means "What? You mean, it's not ある?".

(だから)あるんじゃない{HLLLLL}(ない{HL})means "(that's why) there's (something), no?".

あるんじゃない{HLLLLLH}? means "I guess there's one".

あるんじゃない{HLLLLHL} means "It's not that there's one (but ...)".

あるんじゃないぃ{HLLLLHLH}? means "(I thought there was but) you mean, it's not the case?"

• can you provide more natural examples? what's "......, it's not ある?" – Koodi Oct 29 '17 at 9:32
  • Then, how about "Pardon? Did you say "it's not 「ある」"?"? – user4092 Oct 29 '17 at 18:34
  • ありえないほど細かいですね。素晴らしいです。 – keithmaxx Oct 30 '17 at 3:33
  • I forgot to mention that the questions expressed with ないぃ? are often accompanied with の and become ないの? instead. This is probably for the purpose of earning an extra mora to indicate intonation. – user4092 Oct 30 '17 at 7:30

You are misinterpreting the meaning of the phrases. The translation is:

あるじゃない? = there is, no?
わかったじゃない? = you understood it, right?

That is, it is a positive statement with a question whether it is true or not. You can parse it in two parts: わかった = you understood, じゃない = is not, where the first part functions as a adjective where the adjective describes a state of "you" in this case, so it is as if you are asking "is not (adjective)?"

Also, the natural way of saying a phrase like that is to add an ん after the verb. You can say without the ん but that becomes a bit "stiff"/"hard". Most likely the source where you heard this actually said: あるんじゃない?

• how about my 1st question? – Koodi Oct 29 '17 at 1:47
  • Yes, it is gramatically correct, but normally people would add the ん between the parts as it makes it easier to pronounce. – bjorn Oct 29 '17 at 1:58
  • and in this case it's very similar to "ne", right? – Koodi Oct 29 '17 at 5:39
  • @koodi あるんじゃない is not interchangeable to あるじゃない (which is "see? / voila, there is!"). ね is not either with those two. They are all different. – user4092 Oct 29 '17 at 7:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.