I noticed this phrase :

うらめしや

said by a character in a game I played, and was wondering what it means.

This site suggests

"Urameshiya" is a phrase said, in a sorrowful voice, by Japanese ghosts when they appear. It means, a curse on you.

Google translate gives

Annoying

The best I could find on jisho:

恨めしい

1. reproachful; hateful; bitter​

I suspect the first one to be correct (given that the context is related to halloween and haunting). Is there a reasonable english translation for this、and if the one given is correct, how do the components break down to give that meaning (if at all)?

Thank you

うらめしい has two different meanings (the topic is usually "I", which is almost always omitted):

1. I have a grudge; I'm angry; I'm revengeful
  2. It's a pity; It's regrettable; It's sad; I feel sorry

In うらめしや, it's clearly the first sense. や at the end is an old particle that adds exclamatory feelings, similarly to modern ~だなあ or English "oh". So it just means "Oh I'm so revengeful." You can see similar grammar in haiku and hymns (e.g., うれしや ≒ ああ嬉しいな, めでたや ≒ めでたいなあ).

うらめしや is considered a stereotyped (and overused) phrase said by typical Japanese ghosts like this. It's commonly used in children's pretend plays (example), but serious(?) ghosts in haunted attractions seldom say this, I think.

• How come that the old や particle consumes the adjective い ending? – Glutexo May 16 '18 at 15:41
  • @Glutexo In old Japanese, there was no such a thing as い-ending in the first place. – naruto May 16 '18 at 17:05
  • So when this old particle is used, it is attached to the old 終止形 of the adjective, right? – Glutexo May 22 '18 at 6:14
  • @Glutexo According to this rule, yes. 「終止形に付いて詠嘆の意をあらわす」 – naruto May 22 '18 at 6:49

According to this dictionary, うらめしや is considered to be a word said by ghosts when they appear:

幽霊が出てくるときに言うとされる言葉。「恨めしいなあ」の意

So your first guess is correct. うらめしや has the meaning of "I curse you / I'm cursing you" (あなたの事を恨{うら}んでいる).

To furthermore break it down, as also the first link suggests, at the root of うらめしや probably is the adjective 恨{うら}めしい that means "hateful", "bitter", while I think that や here functions as a particle that adds some emphasis to the feeling (of hate/curse/revenge in this case).

This is at least what you can see explained at this link. However, I am not 100% sure that "emphasis" is the most appropriate description for や in general as a suffix. I think it works in this case (maybe someone can comment), but in general may have different meanings. See for example here and here.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.