I'm assuming that the first ん, after て, stands for る. However, I simply cannot parse the ねん that comes afterward. How exactly does "what the hell are you saying" become 何を言うてんねん, or if my first assumption is correct, 何を言うてるねん?

This is a sentence in Osaka dialect and means "What are you saying?" The "un-contracted" form would be 何を言っているねん (I know this sounds weird; see below).

• 言うて is an equivalent of 言って, the te-form of 言う. It's widely used in western part of Japan, including Osaka. It's pronounced as ゆーて.
  • ん is a sound change of る, which is a contracted form of いる. See this chart. This る can be turned into ん in very casual Japanese. In particular, this る almost always turns into ん before ねん.
  • ねん is a contraction of nothing. ねん is ねん, a sentence-end particle which is almost specific to Osaka dialect. It's like よ, のだ, のか, のです or のですか depending on the sentence. See: ねん in the Kansai dialect and Usage of ~まんねん (関西弁)
| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.