the english version of the material Im reading says "that's a mean god", and a friend told me that means "there is a bad god ,isn't it?" , but I don't understand why. I know ひどい神 (bad,cruel, God) I guess the もんだ its a contraction of ものだ , but I still don't get it , what is もいた? , can someone explain all of this in detail please.

It's (酷い + 神) + も + 居た【いた】 + (もん + だ).

もんだ at the end is a contraction of ものだ, and this type of ものだ carries the sense of exclamation or surprise. So the sentence means something like "Wow, a bad God exists!" or "I'm surprised at the fact that such a cruel god exists!"

Related:

EDIT: For this "past tense" いた, please see Usage of plain i-adjectives or た form (悪かったv悪い、良かったvいい etc) and https://japanese.stackexchange.com/a/40888/5010

EDIT 2: For this も, please see: Odd use of も has me stumped All in all, this is a combination of three (mild) exclamatory expressions!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.