I was reading some youtube comments and one of them were saying:

日本語で他の動画を作成してください

I wonder why use の in this phrase? Since it generally means possession or gives to a certain object some characteristic, like:

それが岡さんの車です or これの県大会はあこじゃない

What does 「これの県大会はあこじゃない」 mean?
    – user4032
    Commented Oct 15, 2017 at 13:41
  • @l'électeur I was trying to say "Kore no kentai ha ako janai" I don't know if I choose the right kanji for that... Commented Oct 15, 2017 at 13:54
  • Unfortunately, that doesn't really help, since when I try to understand what you're trying to say, I get a bunch of confusing words. (see attached links) What are you trying to say in English? See: jisho.org/search/%E3%81%91%E3%82%93%E3%81%9F%E3%81%84 Also see: jisho.org/search/%E3%81%82%E3%81%93
    – ajsmart
    Commented Oct 15, 2017 at 15:03
  • 県大会 means prefectural tournament. あこじゃない dosen't make sense. Commented Oct 15, 2017 at 15:13
    By あこ do you mean あそこ? Many beginners seem to think that since there areこれ それ あれ there must also be ここ そこ あこ but that's not true.
    – Sweeper
    Commented Oct 15, 2017 at 18:42

1 Answer 1

You are right to recognize that this usage of の is not the possessive use of the particle.

In Japanese, when we study adjectives, we usually are taught that there are two types of adjectives: い-type and な-type. For the vast majority of adjectives, this is true, but there is yet another type of adjective that you will encounter in your studies: の-type adjectives.

According to jisho.org, 他 is a の-adjective. Given the context of a YouTube comment, 他の動画 means other video. The person who left the comment is saying the following:

Please make another video in Japanese.

So you might wonder, "What should I know about the の-adjective?" Well, there are quite a few resources on the internet. I have answered a question about the の-adjective before, and you can find the information here. The part in that answer that will be useful to you is in the pictures, where you will find a good explanation about how の and な adjective are related, and how they are different.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .