I was reading some youtube comments and one of them were saying:

日本語で他の動画を作成してください

I wonder why use の in this phrase? Since it generally means possession or gives to a certain object some characteristic, like:

それが岡さんの車です or これの県大会はあこじゃない

What does 「これの県大会はあこじゃない」 mean? – l'électeur Oct 15 '17 at 13:41
  • @l'électeur I was trying to say "Kore no kentai ha ako janai" I don't know if I choose the right kanji for that... – João Brgai Oct 15 '17 at 13:54
  • Unfortunately, that doesn't really help, since when I try to understand what you're trying to say, I get a bunch of confusing words. (see attached links) What are you trying to say in English? See: jisho.org/search/%E3%81%91%E3%82%93%E3%81%9F%E3%81%84 Also see: jisho.org/search/%E3%81%82%E3%81%93 – ajsmart Oct 15 '17 at 15:03
  • 県大会 means prefectural tournament. あこじゃない dosen't make sense. – Yuuichi Tam Oct 15 '17 at 15:13
    By あこ do you mean あそこ? Many beginners seem to think that since there areこれ それ あれ there must also be ここ そこ あこ but that's not true. – Sweeper Oct 15 '17 at 18:42

You are right to recognize that this usage of の is not the possessive use of the particle.

In Japanese, when we study adjectives, we usually are taught that there are two types of adjectives: い-type and な-type. For the vast majority of adjectives, this is true, but there is yet another type of adjective that you will encounter in your studies: の-type adjectives.

According to jisho.org, 他 is a の-adjective. Given the context of a YouTube comment, 他の動画 means other video. The person who left the comment is saying the following:

Please make another video in Japanese.

So you might wonder, "What should I know about the の-adjective?" Well, there are quite a few resources on the internet. I have answered a question about the の-adjective before, and you can find the information here. The part in that answer that will be useful to you is in the pictures, where you will find a good explanation about how の and な adjective are related, and how they are different.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.