What's the difference between 重{じゅう}責{せき} and 責{せき}任{にん}? They both have almost identical meanings - "Heavy responsibility" and "Responsibility". I found at goo even this example:

重大な責任。「重責を果たす」

You might have already answered your question... There is an emphasis on the weight of the responsibility in 重責. – keithmaxx Oct 13 '17 at 6:02
  • But for me it is not very clear what is the purpose of 任 in 責任.. Why can't I say "重責任" - this is just for example. – Ernestas Gruodis Oct 13 '17 at 6:06
  • The character 任 by itself means duty or obligation. 重 is heavy, 責 is taken from 責任 which is responsibility. – keithmaxx Oct 13 '17 at 6:09

責任 is responsibility, 重責 is huge responsibility.

This happens because many Sino-Japanese compounds are made by combining two similar (or closely-related) kanji to reduce the number of homophones. The kanji 責 on its own has the meaning of responsibility, but it's too short and people usually use 責任 in sentences (責 is occasionally used as a standalone word, though). In words with more complex meanings, 責 is enough.

Similar examples:

• 病気【びょうき】 (disease) vs 重病【じゅうびょう】 (severe disease)
  • 結婚【けっこん】 (marriage) vs 重婚【じゅうこん】 (bigamy/polygamy)
  • 岩石【がんせき】 (rock) vs 巨岩【きょがん】 (huge rock)
  • 帝王【ていおう】 (emperor) vs 女帝【じょてい】 (empress)
  • 幸福【こうふく】 (happiness) vs 不幸【ふこう】 (unhappiness/misfortune)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.