In a meeting, I heard this word バーター many times.

The conversation was like below: バーターを含めると売り上げが上がっていますが、含めない場合、下がります。

What I understood from the context is that word is related to accounting (business)

I tried searching in dictionary also still couldn't understand. http://jisho.org/search/%E3%83%90%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC

Could someone please help me to understand the meaning of this word, and where it is used?

Thanks.

バーター has two major meanings:

• barter or 物々交換, as described in English Wikipedia article barter
  • cross-selling, tying arrangement, packaged deal, バンドル商法 or 抱き合わせ as described here and here. Etymologically it's an anagram of 束 (たば, "bundle").

Personally, I'm rather familiar with the latter sense because it's fairly common in gossip columns. If you work in the showbiz industry, it's almost certainly the latter. I think I have seen バーター used in the latter sense outside of the showbiz industry a few times.

Some examples of バーター in the latter sense on the net (most are about 芸能人, but I picked examples outside the 芸能界 here):

EMOBILE LTE - Wikipedia

Nexus 7 (2013)…Cellularモデルについては、イー・アクセスからの発売はされず、Google Playでの購入か、MVNO提供プロバイダからの提供により使用可能。販売店によっては、Wi-Fiモデルについて、データ端末とのバーターで販売されたケースも散見された。

誰かの落し物 第2話

並んで待って、5分ぐらいで列は進んで自分の番が回ってくる。見ると、明太子がこれでもかと詰められた容器が狭しと並んでいる。その隣には、「今だけ100円!」と銘打った燻製のイカまで。やはり大阪人、抱き合せ、バーター商法にも弱い。明太の形が整って、量の多そうな容器を選んで店員さんに「イカも一緒に」と言って手渡す。

ECCビジネススクール 販売単価アップを成功させる3つの方法

まず第一がクロスセルです。これはバーター商法といって古くから行われているスキルです。つまり『ついで買い』を誘導する方法になります。駅弁屋さんがお茶やミカンを一緒に販売している、あのやり方です。これは注文の品だけをお出しするのではなく、それに関連する商品・サービスをもう一つお勧めする方法で、単価の安いファーストフードでお馴染みでしょう。

• Thanks. This is what I was looking for. It makes my understanding clear. – RajSharma Oct 16 '17 at 2:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.