I just stumbled across this word today, and was baffled to find that a thermos is a "magic bottle"? What reason is there for the kanji chosen? Was it a decision by a company who introduced/manufactured the first thermoses in Japan?

With all due respect, why is it so baffling? It had to be a pretty amazing invention back then. – l'électeur Oct 12 '17 at 15:20
  • Perhaps "baffled" wasn't the right word. I found it funny and slightly confusing that the object had "magic" somehow attributed to it. I haven't seen other such examples ("magic energy" for electricity or "magic stick" for a gun or what have you), so I was wondering if there was a reason for this one. – eefara Oct 12 '17 at 15:43
    This would help you. blog.livedoor.jp/blog_channel-0004/archives/27866247.html – Yuuichi Tam Oct 12 '17 at 15:53
  • @YuuichiTam Very interesting! Post it as an answer and I'll accept it. – eefara Oct 12 '17 at 16:08
    @YuuichiTam Summarize the contents of the link, and provide the link for reference. That would count as a complete answer. – psosuna Oct 12 '17 at 17:20

We had not understood the reason why a thermos is called 魔法瓶, but Mr.Awazu, who was a director of 魔法瓶 memorial house, found out the reason a few years ago.

He found out a oldest newspaper article which was written the word 魔法瓶 at October 11th in 1907. The article said that in his interview about hunting, a person referred to the high performance and convenience of a thermos, which had been just imported to Japan at that time, and quoted 魔法瓶(Magic Bottle) in Aesop’s Fable. His words were used in the oldest advertisement of a thermos in Japan and he was decided to be the author of 魔法瓶.

However 魔法瓶(Magic Bottle) isn't in Aesop’s Fable and it seems to be his misunderstanding.

This is the source. http://blog.livedoor.jp/blog_channel-0004/archives/27866247.html

• Interestingly, here is a 1914 publication of The Ohio State University Monthly, mentioning the Japanese term and glossing it as "magic bottle". – Eiríkr Útlendi Oct 11 '19 at 15:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.