So, I know that お前 nowadays is used as a rude way of saying "you". However, during one of my readings, I came across a strange use of お前 which, from the context, won't really make any sense if it was meant to be rude.

Basically, this is a "noblewoman" talking to her servants : she used お前たち although she spoke with them in a rather friendly way, always using polite forms such as ~です or ~ます.

Could I have more information about this お前 ?

Can you provide more context? Maybe post a short passage from which the quote is taken? – kandyman Oct 12 '17 at 12:05
  • Are you asking if there was such a usage or if there is such a usage available in regular speech now? – virmaior Oct 12 '17 at 12:15

お前 is clearly rude only when its used to address your boss, a stranger, etc. It's a very common friendly second-person pronoun among close friends, especially young male friends.

Being able to use お前 is often the sign of friendliness, frankness or a good vertical relationship. There is nothing wrong if you used お前 to your children, servant, etc., although it sounds more or less "bossy" or paternalistic. I imagine how this noblewoman can feel at ease with the servants.

• For example Lunafreya from FFXV may as well address her people with お前たち while sticking to ~です/~ます style at the same time. (although my memory is already vague) – naruto Oct 13 '17 at 3:39

No, it can't. お前 is a rude way of saying "you", even if she always uses polite forms such as ~です or ~ます. Probably she didn't use the word except to her servants , right?

The author may want to contrast polite forms with a rude way of speaking and expect that the readers will be a bit surprised to hear it just like you were.

Addition: お前 was used as a respect way of saying "you" till about 400 years ago, but it doesn't be used like that now. This is the source. http://gogen-allguide.com/o/omae.html

• でも、何か質問者はこのふう(detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1075957545)の時代劇の使い方について、聞かれていることではないか。 – virmaior Oct 12 '17 at 13:44
  • Thank you for your teaching and correction. I added the information. – Yuuichi Tam Oct 12 '17 at 14:09
    古語を持ち出さなくても、部下や仲間に対して「お前たちは下がっていなさい!私が参ります!」「お前たちも苦労しているのですね…」といった喋り方をする高貴な女性は普通にいると思います。少なくともフィクションでは。 – naruto Oct 13 '17 at 1:23
  • Yes, I imagined that. I imagined impertinent young madams in fiction. – Yuuichi Tam Oct 13 '17 at 4:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.