I want to say "I want to watch a movie with you"..

Can I say this?

あなたと映画を見るつもりです

• つもり means "intention". – istrasci Oct 10 '17 at 19:06

あなたと映画を見るつもりです。I plan to see a movie with you.

と is the right particle to use with あなた if you want to mean "with them", however, つもり tends to mean "I plan to" , and not "I want to".

I think this is better:

一緒に映画を見たいのです。I want to see a movie with you (together).

The の particle I put in for "explanation" towards the listener. You are trying to explain to them you want to see a movie with them, correct? The particle isn't necessary, it's just my preference.

Note: The sentence I've provided you might not be used if you are asking a good friend (it's kind of formal). In that case you could say:

一緒に映画を見たい!I want to see a movie with you!

Japanese does not usually say あなた when you are talking to another person.

一緒に映画を見たいです。I want to watch a movie together with you (politely).

But, if that person is your friends or family members, you can just use in 辞書形 by omitting です。

一緒に映画を見たい。

辞書形 -- You mean 普通形/plain form? (cos 見たい is not the 辞書形/dictionary form of 見る...) – Chocolate Oct 9 '17 at 23:43
  • @Chocolate first example is ますけい (Polite form) and the second one is じしょけい/普通形 (Non-polite form). Polite means you've to use in that form when you are talking to strangers or older people and non-polite means you can only use it to only people close to you. – Khay Oct 10 '17 at 4:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.