I was trying to translate this song (full lyrics here: http://vocadb.net/S/87131 ) and I'm having a lot of trouble with these two lines:

混沌に鎖されし 喪服纏った我を 蝕む右手の薔薇
宿命とし 後罪滲む

"Trapped by the chaos, having put on my mourning clothes, a rose in my worm-eaten right hand, I make a decision to blot out my crime (btw 後罪 is pronounced クライム)" is what I could figure out. Mostly I'm confused about とし here. I would think it's a continuative of とする, but the only uses I could find with とする are the typical を~とする and volitional + とする, which doesn't seem to apply here. And I'm not sure if 宿命 (which is pronounced 定め) should even be "decision" or "fate." Literally I could only translate the last line based on context also; as you can see, I'm very confused!

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Yes it's the continuative form of とする, and I think it's "typical を~とする" you already know, with を omitted because it's already mentioned in the previous sentence(?). It just means "consider something ~" or "regard something as ~".

定め【さだめ】 can mean the same thing as 運命, doom, fate, etc.

So "regarding it (=薔薇) as my(?) fate, ..."

See:

• Oh, okay, so 蝕む右手の薔薇 goes with 宿命とし, and 後罪滲む, then, is just by itself? ("Trapped by the chaos, having put on my mourning clothes, I regard the worm-eaten rose in the right hand as my fate; my crime is blurred.") – Smoothie Oct 7 '17 at 17:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.