So looking it up it translated to 和製 means "Japanese made" and 和語 means "Native Japanese".

But aren't native Japanese words Japanese made (not taken from Chinese)?

• I hope the わt's the diff hiragana was intentional. XD – istrasci Oct 5 '17 at 20:04
  • @istrasci of course! ;) – Y12K Oct 6 '17 at 0:46
  • +1 for that わt's the difference. lol – Tommy Oct 6 '17 at 4:52

和製 is typically used in the phrase 和製英語, 'Japanese-made English'. This refers to English words and phrases coined in Japan, often with meanings that aren't clear to native English speakers. Think of things like 'office lady', '2LDK', 'jet coaster', and so on.

和語 is, as you say, typically used to mean native Japanese vocabulary. I'm more used to seeing that called 大和言葉, but 和語 means mostly the same thing.

• Why can't the Japanese not derived from Chinese be 和製日本語 then? – Y12K Oct 6 '17 at 1:21
    大和 refers to ancient Japan, which should already sufficiently explain native Japanese (words, in the case of 大和言葉). – keithmaxx Oct 6 '17 at 1:23
  • @Y12K 和製日本語 sounds to my ears like someone going excessively far out of their way to emphasise the native Japaneseness of native vocabulary. It sounds like what someone would say if they're a nationalist wanting to rid Japanese of all foreign words, kango included, and make some sort of 'pure Japanese Japanese'. – Sjiveru Oct 6 '17 at 21:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.