Trying to say something like this line:

I am not wanted.

But for all the Japanese language likes skipping subjects and topics, I can't seem to find an equivalent for this case--it seems like the only way to say this is by rephrasing it to "X doesn't want me" (Xは私をいらない). The closest I can think of is 自分が必要とされていない, but I don't want to say "I'm not needed", I want to say "I'm not wanted". It doesn't seem like conjugating いる or ほしい is the way to go either. How can I say this without adding a topic?

※Disclaimer: This is not related to how I actually feel.

Perhaps you could clarify in what way you mean wanted - romantically, as part of a team, as company, for a specific request, etc. I would imagine the translation would be different depending on how you intend this word. – Robert Oct 1 '17 at 10:43
  • @Robert It would be 'in general' technically--not wanted by anyone or for anything, unwanted as a person. Essentially I want to leave it as open/all-encompassing as it is in English. If that isn't possible however, then it would be in the sense of a child being unwanted by their parents (or whatever else is closest to being all-encompassing). – idlackage Oct 1 '17 at 18:48
  • @idlackage I'm a bit amused by the need to put the disclaimer. – keithmaxx Oct 2 '17 at 1:22

I think you're looking for

私は求められていない(よう)です。 (It seems) I am not wanted/needed.

The line between need and want case is a blur (I'd say the same in English), but the word does express a nuance of being unwanted.

Then again, I imagine the Japanese don't say this out loud often because it also expresses some resentment (of being unwanted by the listeners, perhaps).

Edit: To say it more emphatically you could say,

私は誰にも求められていません。 Nobody wants/needs me.

Of course you can outright point out just who is making you feel unwelcome or unwanted, and that will border on being antagonistic.

• Thank you. If google isn't lying to me, is this kind of a soft way to put it (even without the よう)? Would there also be a way to put this more bluntly/harshly? (Kind of like using いらない) – idlackage Oct 2 '17 at 3:08
  • @idlackage Neither are softer or harsher than each other. – user4092 Oct 2 '17 at 12:04
  • I would think that expressing ambivalence or ignorance for someone's presence is already harsh for Japanese... they are a community-based society, after all. – keithmaxx Oct 3 '17 at 6:02
  • @keithmaxx Sorry for more questions but I just realized that I should've put in a lot more context than I did. What I was looking for was what someone would think in their head--they aren't saying this out loud, they're just alone sulking to themselves. Which is what I meant with いらない--like if someone asked whether you'd like a bag at the supermarket even いりません is kind of cold, so you'd say something like 大丈夫です. I would like to know if 求められていない would work as something someone (who is angry/sad about being unwanted) would think to themselves. – idlackage Oct 3 '17 at 21:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.