Every source I look it says it's called はば AND きん. But in what situation do I call it きん instead of はば?

Also, it's usually specified as はばへん and きんへん, in my understanding へん radicals are always on the left of the kanji. So how do I call 巾 in kanjis such as 市, 常, and 姉?


But in what situation do I call it きん instead of はば?

To refer to the 巾 radical - never.

There are rare cases in which 巾 is pronounced this way as a noun. And of course 巾 is pronounced キン in many compound words.

はばへん or less often きんべん


|improve this answer|||||
  • Thank you very much. I was hoping someone could answer the second part of the question but it seems that that's not gonna happen. I'm having a hard time figuring out how people refer to radicals in japanese, so that's another step =) – Felipe Müller Oct 2 '17 at 2:00
  • @FelipeMüller I don't understand what you mean by "second part". I answered all questions you asked in the original post. – macraf Oct 2 '17 at 2:05
  • Oh, the question was how do you call 巾 in kanjis like: 市, 常, and 姉? Do you call them はばへん even though the radical is not on the left part of the kanji? – Felipe Müller Oct 2 '17 at 3:05
  • And I answered that. – macraf Oct 2 '17 at 3:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.