Purely speculating from the kanji, one could quite naturally think that 多分, being "many parts", could lean towards a likelihood greater than 50% that something will happen.

I always thought as 多分 being a quite neutral 50% "maybe", but I just randomly got to think of the above kanji-based possible interpretation and got curious to know if it is just my idea or there is some truth behind it.

I saw the other post was asking the difference among 最も、非常に、かなり、ずいぶん. I consider the degree in the order of 最も> 非常に >= ずいぶん >= かなり. This time the certainty in the order of 絶対 >= 必ず >= おそらく、きっと >= 多分。 – user25382 Sep 29 '17 at 8:40
    I always get the impression that when a person uses 多分ね it's probably wishful thinking. The mother of all evil is speculation. – Y12K Sep 29 '17 at 8:47
    かなり大事な質問と思います。私の学生はいつも「直訳」のせいで、「maybe」を使って勘違いさせる。 – virmaior Sep 29 '17 at 12:02
    @kimiTanaka not sure I understand what you mean in your second comment. Are you saying that somehow there is a difference between using kana and kanji? – Tommy Oct 1 '17 at 23:47
    @Tommy Just in my opinion probably not everyone though, I feel 多分そうだろう is more certain than たぶんそうだろう in one's judgement. I might be bit synaesthesia to kanji and kana... – user25382 Oct 2 '17 at 0:03

「たぶん」は、英語の maybe よりずっと可能性が高いと思います。「たぶん」は probably に近いと思います。70~80%くらいの確率(あるいは90%?)かな?と思います。

明鏡国語辞典によると・・・

たぶん【多分】
二 〘副詞〙 《多く下に推量を表す語を伴って》断定はできないが、そうである可能性が高いという話‌​し手の気持ちを表す。おそらく。おおかた。たいてい。

"Will you marry me?" に "Maybe." と返事されたら普通はがっかりしますけど、「結婚してくれる?」に「たぶん。」と言われたらそんなにがっかりしない(どちらかというと嬉しい)と思います。

「たぶん治ります。」と言われた病気が、実は治る可能性は50%だった…とかだったら、きっと怒ってしまいます。治る可能性が低いなら、「治るかもしれない」とか「もしかしたら~~」のような言い方をしてほしいです。

Purely speculating from the kanji, one could quite naturally think that 多分, being "many parts", could lean towards a likelihood greater than 50% that something will happen.

おっしゃる通り、明鏡国語辞典にも「 🈩〘名・形動〙数量・金額などが多いこと。また、割合・程度が高いこと。」とあるように、割合が高い(多い)とか、大部分、というような意味で「多」+「分」なのだと思います。(「多分」は当て字との情報がネット上にいくつかありますが、複数の辞書を見ても当て字だという根拠は見つかりませんので、正しいかどうかわかりません。)

• I guess Tommy might be wondering the ideograph(kanji) "多分” literally corresponds with the certainty of something is more than or equal to 50%. – user25382 Sep 29 '17 at 9:53
    I should ask him directly though, he might be wondering it is okay to think that there is the correspondence between the meaning and kanji itself in a mnemonic sense. – user25382 Sep 29 '17 at 10:02

I'd use 多分 when the probability is more than 80%: "probably"

In my mind, 多分≒おそらく≒十中八九.

• According to Wikipedia :「≒」の記号は、”日本などの東アジアの一部地域では「2 項がほぼ等しい」という意味で「≒」が用いられるが、その他の地域や数学などの専門的な文献においては「≃」を用いることが多い。また、数学的な意味以外でも、日本語の文章では「ほとんど同じ」という意図で使用されることもある。” ここで間違っているとは言えないでしょうけれど、一応念の為に ja.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%AD%89%E5%8F%B7 – user25382 Sep 29 '17 at 12:39
    Yeah, most native speakers of English don't know what ≒ means, although many probably learn it while they're learning Japanese. Growing up in the United States, I learned ≈ in school, and I've always used that as shorthand for "about equal" in English. – snailcar Sep 29 '17 at 21:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.