It's from a video game called Xenogears. You can play rock-paper-scissors with a man and when he loses he says this:

負けたのか、この俺が!?
そんなバカな……!?
オー・マイ・ガブリーヌ!

Is it something like "Oh my God!"?

• I have a feeling it's a reference to something in the game or someone's name he admires/etc. But yes, it's basically "Oh My God" with a little inside joke. – knowledge_is_power Sep 28 '17 at 18:08
  • Yeah, I thought so too, but there's no a character named "Gabrine"/"Gabriene" in this game. – Guest Sep 28 '17 at 18:29
  • ガブリーヌ may refer to "gubline"... what video game you've played? I heard this word used somewhere named "武装神姫", possible in the similar way like OMG does. – Tetsuya Yamamoto Sep 29 '17 at 1:03
  • @Tetsuya Yamamoto: It's "Xenogears". It can't be reference to "Busou Shinki" because manga was published in 2008 and anime appeared later, while "Xenogears" came out in 1998. – Guest Sep 29 '17 at 18:15

オー・マイ・ガブリーヌ is obviously a pun on オーマイガー ("OMG") and ガブリーヌ, where ガブリーヌ is probably a western surname Gabreanu. But according to this, no one seems to know who ガブリーヌ is: OH MY GABRINO! WHAT DOES THIS XENOGEARS LINE SAY IN JAPANESE?

This character speaks in an idiosyncratic manner in the first place, so probably there is no special meaning.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.