What does してた in 元気してた means? How it came to being してた? I know that the original form of し is する, then what does 元気する means? It's really confusing. For context please see the images below:

enter image description here

These screenshots contain Chinese and Japanese subtitles. You can see the Japanese subtitles.

「元気{げんき}してた?」

is just a more informal/colloquial way of saying:

「元気してた?」

which is already fairly informal. You can only say these to close friends and people younger than you.

Both expressions mean:

"Have you been alright?"

A more "textbook" way of saying this would be:

「(お)元気にされていましたか?」 or 「(お)元気でしたか?」

Those can be said to people older than you.

• How do we understand してた? I understand this して as the -て form of する (to do) and the past tense of して is してた, so it becomes "have been doing" (since -て form here stands for continuing action). に in 元気にしてた means "at/in" or "regarding". So I suppose 「元気にしてた?」 can be literally understood as "Regarding health, have been doing?". Is my understanding correct. But then, I don't see an interrogative particle here such as か or の, then how does it become a question? – laser2302 Sep 29 '17 at 14:39
    1) してた is a contraction of していた which is the past tense of している, so it means 'have been doing'. 2) 元気 is a na-adjective. These types of words can modify verbs by changing な to に. 3) You don't need a particle to ask a question. Rising intonation is sufficient. Overall you get something like 'have you been doing well?'. – user3856370 Sep 30 '17 at 11:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.