Does the 目 mean 'eye' in this case? What does Au mean in this case? The pain and the 目 coming together to experience the hurt?

Is this a one-off sentence or can I use other variations like 苦しい目にあう (only negative ones?) or 楽しい目にあう?

「目{め}」 has far more meanings than J-learners tend to think. A decent dictionary would give over ten.

Does the 目 mean 'eye' in this case?

No, it does not. 「目」 here means "experience", so 「痛{いた}い目」 means a "bitter experience".

What does Au mean in this case?

「あう」 used in this expression means "to encounter", "to go through", etc.

So, "to get a black eye" is not what this expression means at all. That is unless getting a black eye was coincidentally the end result from your bad experience.

Is this a one-off sentence?

No, it is not.

「苦{くる}しい目にあう」 is just perfect.

「楽{たの}しい目にあう」 would be less common but still okay.

The adjectives that are used often in 「~~目にあう」 are:

ひどい、散々{さんざん}な、危険{きけん}な、つらい、悲惨{ひさん}な, etc.

It would mostly be a word with a negative meaning. I think it is safe to say that 「痛{いた}い」 would be the most common adjective.

The expression that I personally would suggest that J-learners learn would be 「いい目を見{み}る」, which means "to be fortunate/lucky". I say this because I almost never see a J-learner use that expression.

| improve this answer | |
    I appreciate the notes on expressions not frequently used by learners of Japanese. It helps to grow a much more native perspective on the language rather than purely grammatical and formulaic. – Joshua Detwiler Sep 28 '17 at 5:24
  • Thank you! Was wondering if it might not mean 'hurt eye' but maybe literally it means that as the originator of the proverb. Interesting. Guess it was just a coincidence. Good mmemonic for myself though Would certainly keep いい目を見みる in mind. Short and easy to remember too! I suppose 目 can be considered an alternative to koto for the same cases as well right? ひぢい目になっちゃった&ひどい事になっちゃった seem fine。 – shoryuu Sep 28 '17 at 11:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.