Recently I heard the sentence:

強い、より命令ぽくってその人がこうもらえると思ってるものを返してほしい

when the teacher was trying to explain difference between "要望" and "要求".

I am wondering if "ぽくって" is the informal "テ形" of "っぽい" because it looks like "っぽくて".

• You said you "heard" the sentence. Do you mean that the sentence above is how you heard it spoken? Could it be that it was just a slip of the tongue or something? – kandyman Sep 26 '17 at 18:22
  • The sentence is from here 6:19 – chika Sep 27 '17 at 1:24
  • It sounds like 命令っぽくて to me. If it was 命令ぽくって I think the pitch of the くwould be different. – kandyman Sep 27 '17 at 7:33

It is exactly as you stated.

Using 「Word + っぽい」 over 「Word + ぽい」 is actually a "recent" phonetic trend in the history of the language. The trend is only about 100-plus years old.

If you read novels from Meiji Era (1868 - 1912), you will notice the coexistence of both forms.

「~~くって」 is the colloquial form of 「~~くて」 and it is very common in our spoken language. It is, of course, the te-form of an i-adjective.

e.g. 「このリンゴはあまく(っ)ておいしい。」("This apple is sweet and yummy.")

It can, however, be kind of difficult (and even stressful) to utter 「命令{めいれい}っぽくって」 with two small っ sounds in such a short phrase because, as in any language, we tend to speak fast in our informal conversations.

Thus, uttering either 「命令ぽくって」or 「命令っぽくて」 using only one small っ would be much easier.

I think this is why the person in question said 「命令ぽくって」 (almost) instinctively as a native speaker.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.