I'm very much a beginner so I'm still learning grammar, but I want to translate "I hope to be back in Japan sometime next year".

日本にかえりたい来年といいですね
nippon ni kaeritai rainen to ii desu ne

Is this correct? Or is there a better way to translate this?

Assuming you visited Japan and want to be back there, that sentence is a little awkward, because as already pointed out, かえる is something like going back to the homeland.
The earlier answer is actually a grammatically natural sentence and arguably understandable to native people, but Aするといいですね is generally used to hope that some other person does A, which makes them feel this sentence weird.
The more natural translation would be like "来年また日本に行きたいです。"

• I thought she felt nostalgic, saudade feel. So, she said かえりたい. – user25382 Sep 30 '17 at 1:21

The time comes at the start of the sentence. Also, instead of using ~たい (want), in this case it's better to use a potential form with といいですね. Finally, 帰る is usually only used by native Japanese as Japan is their home country. For foreigners, 戻る is a bit more natural, as you are returning to Japan rather than going back to your home country. I guess you could argue that 帰る can be used by foreigners who are permanent residents in Japan, but I still prefer 戻る.
So here is one possible translation:

来年日本に戻れるといいですね。(I hope I am able to return to Japan next year.)

• Your explanation on how to use "日本に戻る" and "日本に帰る" for "to return to Japan" is very good. – mackygoo Sep 25 '17 at 13:19
    Is Finally, 帰る is usually only used by native Japanese as Japan is their home country really accurate? / My sense is that it makes sense to use when referring to the country where you reside (書いてある説明は国籍に基づいて、事実は居住国ではないか). – virmaior Sep 30 '17 at 0:35
    来年日本に戻れるといいですね。 -- って聞くと "I hope YOU can return to Japan next year" って意味だと思ってしまうのは私だけでしょうか・・・ – Chocolate Sep 30 '17 at 0:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.