I'm constantly practicing and creating new japanese phrases in my head, so far it has been easy to speak it, although without a computer it's hard to write the alphabets, I get confused with all the Kanjis, Hiragana and Katakana, I do know how to distinguish them but sometimes I can't read them, especially the Kanjis, therefore, I wrote this sentence and I'd like to know if it was correct.

明日私達は映画をみる私はみきーちゃんを好きですでもみきーちゃんは私をすきじゃない。 Tomorrow we'll watch a movie, I like Miki-chan but Miki-chan doesn't like me.

About this sentence I'd like to know if I can put another は instead of でも, I heard that I can use は to emphasize the phrase following it. Is it correct?

Your English sentence is poorly constructed to begin with. What does watching a movie have to do with you liking someone or someone not liking you? – l'électeur Sep 23 '17 at 13:00
  • @l'électeur I didn't create the sentence thinking in english but in japanese. I'm sorry if it's sounds out of context but imagine I'm texting a friend that Miki and I we'll watch a movie and I like her but she doesn't like me... Simple as that :D – João Brgai Sep 23 '17 at 13:16
  • It doesn't sound out of context, to me. It is two sentences, but you didn't indicate that with punctuation. That's kind of a red flag. Learning a new language requires comprehension of at least the basic grammatical concepts such as sentences and clauses – requiredandshown Sep 23 '17 at 22:03

I'd like to know if I can put another は instead of でも

No, you can't. でも is a conjunction (like "however" in English). は is a particle, which determines the role of the phrase that precedes it. They are grammatically different, and is never interchangeable.

I'm not sure what you've actually heard about "は for emphasis". Perhaps you've just heard about contrastive-wa?

Other comments:

• Use Japanese commas and periods appropriately.
  • Don't mix polite form (~です/~ます) in the middle of the text written in plain form. It looks more strange than you might imagine.
  • What's the horizontal bar between みき and ちゃん for? Is it intended to be a hyphen? Such a long bar means a long vowel marker (i.e., it turns "Mi-ki" into "Mi-kee") in Japanese. You should omit that bar.

Corrected version:

明日私達は映画をみる。私はみきちゃんを好きだ。でもみきちゃんは私をすきじゃない。

• May I say that I thought about changing the です to だ? But I thought it was wrong because I wasn't sure if 好き was a な-adjective... One question that I have is if the commas and periods are used the same way as in english? When should I place them preferably? After a verb, after a thought? – João Brgai Sep 23 '17 at 12:05
  • I thought that we should put a between the name and chan, san, kun, sama, etc.... Is this an hyphen? Should I use it just like in english? – João Brgai Sep 23 '17 at 12:08
  • ちなみに「を好き」については多少不安があって調べたんですが、間違ってもいないようです。 detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1345796783 – keithmaxx Sep 28 '17 at 6:38
  • @keithmaxx まあ間違いでもないのでしょうが、指摘したほうがよかったですね… japanese.stackexchange.com/q/26005/5010 – naruto Sep 28 '17 at 9:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.