My textbook has the following conversation:

A: 明日どこに行きますか。

B: デパートに行きましょう。

A: どのデパートに行きますか。

B: 貴方の家の北のデパートに行きましょう

The third line is translated to English in the textbook as "which department store should we go to?" My trouble is with the connotation of this sentence.

I think that the 〜ます stem seems to imply a certainty expected upon B, that is, that B already knows where we're going. In English I would expect this more to be "which department store are we going to?" The "should we go to" seems to me to ask for suggestions (rather than a unilateral decision by B). If that connotation is what is desired, then I think that the third line would be better written as どのデパートに行きましょうか。

Am I wrong about the connotation of this sentence, or am I right in thinking that the 〜ます stem is implying a stronger level of certainty from B than expected?

You're correct in thinking that "B" is not giving a direct certainty in the form of "We will go to X". However, in this context, the suggestion is a more explicit suggestion than "Should we go to X" as if it were a question. It's probably closer to "Let's go to X" as opposed to "We will go to X". So, applying that level of suggestion, let's translate the example:

A: Where are we going tomorrow?

B: デパートに行きましょう
B: Let's go to a department store.

A: Which department store will we go to?

B: 貴方の家の北のデパートに行きましょう
B: Let's go to the department store north of your house.

Judging from the given context, I think that there is a difference in initiative in the conversation between "A" and "B". Clearly "B" has the initiative. "A" simply asks for "B"'s intention so "A" uses ~ます stem. On the other hand, "B" states his own judgment.
~しょう stem used by "B" is an expression for acting with partner "A". Therefor I think that the translation starting with "Let's" in psosuna's answer is correct.
If "B" intends to act alone, I think that "B" will use "~ます" instead of "~しょう" like the following conversation.

B: デパートに(ひとりで)行きます
B: 貴方の家の北のデパートに(ひとりで)行きます

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.